This apple bread pudding recipe is adapted from The Artful Palate. Made with layers of cinnamon raisin bread, Granny Smith apples and raisins this apple bread pudding is a real comfort food that makes a scrumptious breakfast or luscious dessert.
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 60 mins
1 loaf cinnamon raising bread (sliced)
2 cups milk
1/2 cup + ½ cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
4 Granny Smith apples (peeled, cored, and sliced thin)
1 cup golden raisins
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 tablespoons butter (cut into small pieces)
1. Butter a 2 quart baking dish the day before you wish to serve the apple bread pudding. Line some of the bread slices along the sides and bottom of this dish. Trim the bread pieces as necessary so they don’t overlap. Be sure to leave a little bread poking above the rim of the dish.
3. Place a layer of apple slices over the milk mixture. Sprinkle some the golden raisins over this. Then top with a layer of bread slices. Place alternately layers of apples, raisins, and bread slices until the dish is filled ending with a layer of bread.
4. Place the baking dish on a baking tray. Then pour the remaining milk mixture over the last layer of bread.
5. In a small bowl stir together the cinnamon, nutmeg, and ½ cup sugar. Then sprinkle this mixture over the top of the bread pudding. Cover and refrigerate overnight, or for at least 6 hours.
6. The following day, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Remove the chilled dish from the refrigerator, uncover, and place directly in the oven. Bake for 45 to 60 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. With a dollop of whipped cream serve warm.