Delicious rich cake that will delight onion lovers and non onion lovers everywhere.
1 cup vidalia onion, peeled and cut into 1" strips
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 granny smith apples, peeled, pitted, halved and cut into ¼ slices
4 tablespoons butter
â?? cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
¾ cup plus 2 T.flour, all purpose, sifted
1 ½ teaspoon double acting baking powder
5 ounces whole milk
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
¾ cup plus 2 T.granulated sugar
1 cup confectioner's sugar for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Caramelize the onions by cooking them for 10 minutes on a sheet pan greased with vegetable oil. Remove. Bake the apples in the oven for 6 to 8 minutes on a greased sheet pan. Remove from oven.
3. Melt the butter in a 10" skillet and add the brown sugar. Stir with a wooden spoon until dissolved. Remove the pan from the heat and add the caramelized vidalia onions.
4. For the batter - In a mixer, beat the eggs with the flour, baking powder, milk, vanilla extract and sugar until well incorporated
5. Line a 9" greased cake pan with parchment paper. Make a layer of the butter-brown sugar mixture with carmelized onions. Arrange. the cooked apple slices over the caramelized onions. Cover with the batter. Bake approximately 30 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Remove from the oven and when the cake reaches room temperature, invert the pan onto a serving tray. Sift confectioner's sugar over the top of the cake.