Asparagus makes an elegant side dish to meats and fish and can also be served as a lovely appetizer. In this recipe adapted from Columbus Dispatch, fresh asparagus is boiled until tender and tossed in melted butter with browned almonds and seasoned with fresh lemon juice and black pepper.
2 pounds fresh or frozen asparagus
4 tbsp. butter
1/4 cup sliced almonds
2 tsp. lemon juice, preferably fresh
1/4 tsp. coarse ground black pepper
1. Put enough water in the bottom of a large pot or kettle to cover asparagus. Bring water to a boil.
2. Add asparagus spears and cook until tender, about 2-3 minutes.
3. Remove from heat. Drain off hot water and rinse with cold water. Drain again. Set aside.
4. Melt butter over medium heat in a large skillet. Add the almonds. Cook until they start to turn brown.
5. Add asparagus. Toss to heat. Add lemon juice and pepper. Toss lightly. Serve.