Beer battered onion rings are the ultimate pub food and you can easily make one at home and enjoy it with your favorite beer with friends for a great weekend having this one of the appetizer recipes.
1 sweet onion (peeled and sliced)
½ cup + 2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon celery salt
3 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons shortening
1 cup ale
1. Pour the vegetable oil into a Dutch oven until it’s 4 inches up the sides of the pan. Heat the oil to 375 degrees F.
2. Pour ½ cup flour into a baking dish and dredge the onion slices in it.
3. In a mixing bowl, blend together the eggs and celery salt. Add 2 cups flour, baking powder, salt, and shortening and stir until blended. Add the ale. Batter should be lumpy.
4. Shake the onion slices to remove any excess flour and dredge in the batter.
5. Using tongs, drop the onion slices into the hot oil and fry for 4 to 6 minutes. Drain on paper towels.