This Asian-inspired pasta dish makes a vibrant and colorful presentation that is also healthy and can be made a regular part of a healthy diet. It has a wonderful harmony with a balanced amount of saltiness, zest, tanginess, succulence and spice.
1 box (8 oz.) uncooked vermicelli
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. ground ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
3 cups sliced shiitake mushrooms
2 bell peppers, any color, cut into thin strips
12 oz. shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 tbsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 tsp. lime zest
2 tbsp. lime juice, preferably fresh
2 tsp. sesame oil
1. Cook pasta according to directions on package. Drain and set aside.
2. While pasta is cooking, heat 1 tbsp. olive oil over medium heat in a large wok or skillet. Add ginger and garlic and stir-fry for 30 seconds to release the fragrance. Add onion and stir-fry until translucent, about 1 minute. Add mushrooms and peppers and stir-fry until vegetables are crisp-tender, 3-4 minutes. Transfer vegetables to another container.
3. Add the remaining olive oil to the pan. Add the shrimp. Stir-fry until shrimp turns pink, about 2-3 minutes.
4. Put vegetables back in the pan. Add all remaining ingredients. Stir to coat vegetables and heat through.
5. Fill serving plates with pasta and top with shrimp and vegetables. Top with sesame seeds, if desired.